Thinning hair in men is part of the aging process. However, some men may lose their hair faster than others. Statistics show that 85 percent of men experience major hair thinning by the time they are 50 years old. However, some men may start losing hair before they turn 21. Male hair loss is also referred to as male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia.
What is Male Pattern Baldness?
Male pattern baldness begins as a receding hairline which causes thinning and even loss of hair over time. This condition is triggered by androgens –hormones responsible for controlling the body’s processes during puberty, such as hair growth. High levels of DHT and testosterone (androgens) can shorten the lifespan of the hair follicles, causing thinning hair in men. It is a genetic trait.
Each hair on the scalp goes through a growth cycle. However, in men with male pattern baldness, their hair growth cycle weakens, and the follicles shrink. As a result, finer and shorter hair strands are formed. The growth cycle eventually ends for each hair. So, no new hair grows.
What are the other causes for thinning hair in men?
Some of the other causes of thinning and loss of hair in men are:
- Scalp infections such as ringworm can infect the skin of your scalp and invade the hair. Such infections cause scaly patches and speed up hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalances can also trigger hair loss. In males, the thyroid gland is likely to result in hair loss because of hormonal changes.alp and invade the hair. Such infections cause scaly patches and speed up hair loss.
- Patchy Alopecia Areata is a condition where the body’s immune system attacks the follicles. This condition causes rapid and unpredictable hair loss leaving round bald patches on the skin.
- Skin disorders can also lead to thinning and hair loss, such as: Eczema, Psoriasis, Lupus, or Seborrheic dermatitis.
- Other causes include radiation treatment, extreme trauma, stress or excessive use of hair styling products.
No matter the cause, hair loss can affect your self-confidence, lower social interaction and even lead to depression. Therefore, it is best to seek treatment. At Holistic Aesthetics, we strive to provide you with the best regenerative therapies for thinning hair or hair loss, such as platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
When to Consult a Medical Professional?
You should contact a medical professional when you experience:
- A sudden loss of hair
- Hair falling in clumps
- Burning or itching of the scalp
At Holistic Aesthetics we will perform tests to investigate the cause of the thinning hair and suggest the best treatment.